Transport and Works Minister, Mike Henry, officially hands over the contract for the supply of LED Lamp Modules to Managing Director of Machinery and Services Ltd, Mr. Paul Morgan. Also present at the contract signing were Mr. Patrick Wong, CEO at the NWA; and Mr. Clement Watson, CEO at the Road Maintenance Fund.

The Ministry of Transport and Works, in an effort to conserve on energy consumption and drastically reduce energy costs, recently signed a contract valued at just over JA$14 million with Machinery and Services Limited to supply 1,980  - 300mm LED Traffic Signal Lamp Modules, 1,500 balls, 360 arrows and 120 pedestrian signals. At the contract signing at the Ministrys Head Office on Maxfield Avenue on Friday, Minister Henry said that over the last 10 years the increase in vehicular traffic on the nation’s roadways has resulted in an increase in the number of traffic signal installations to improve intersection safety. He added that there are currently over 200 traffic signals island-wide, and these are in operation over 95 per cent of the time. As a result, traffic signals are expected to operate on a 24-hour basis, which results in high electrical energy usage.

Minister Henry said that the Government has been making every effort to improve road safety and at the same time reduce operating cost through the use of appropriate technologies. To this effect, Light Emitting Diode (LED) Traffic Signal Lamps have become an efficient and effective alternative to traditional incandescent traffic signal lamps.

“In keeping with best practices, the Ministry of Transport and Works, through the Road Maintenance Fund, intends to replace all incandescent traffic signal lamps with LED traffic signal lamps. The conversion process has started with over 40 per cent of the traffic signals currently using LED traffic signal lamps. The remaining 60 per cent of traffic signals will be converted over the next 12 months.”

The main advantages of using LED traffic signal lamps are:

1..      Low energy usage - 10-watt to 22-watt, compared with 100-watt Incandescent lamps

2.      Long life of lamps (seven to 10 years) compared with three months for incandescent lamps.

3.     

Research shows that the low energy usage of LED traffic signal lamps has realized significant savings in monthly and yearly energy costs. LED traffic signal lamps are brighter when compared with incandescent lamps, which enhance intersection safety. Unlike incandescent lamps with a single filament, LED lamps consist of a matrix of several dozen LEDs. The lamps will continue to function even if a few of the LEDs stop working.

The contract is for 1,980 LED Traffic Signal lamps. The LED conversion programme will start as soon as the equipment arrives within a few weeks. The programme will focus on intersections with an average monthly bill in excess of $25,000, as there is a proposed saving of over 80% of energy cost. It is anticipated that over 40 intersections will be completed by yearend.

 

Operations Manger at the National Works Agency, Mr. Michael Saunderson, demonstrates to Transport and Works Minister, Mike Henry, how the improved LED traffic lamps will function.